The Friends of Saint Mary's
In 1981, a group of four individuals who each had a family member at Saint Mary’s felt inspired to assist with the recreational activities of their loved ones. That original group of four has grown over the past four decades into a volunteer group that has had hundreds of members known as The Friends of Saint Mary’s.
The Friends of Saint Mary’s are volunteers who assist the Activities Department in providing our residents with meaningful experiences and opportunities for socialization. The work our volunteers do and the friendships they form are invaluable to our residents.
Volunteers give their time based on their schedule and interests.
There are a wide range of year-round volunteer opportunities including:
- Facilitating games and group activities
- Assisting with arts and crafts projects
- Serving customers and residents in the gift shop
- Helping to organize and run special events and parties
- Attending community outings
- Assisting with transporting residents to activities
- One-on-one visits that offer moments of friendship and companionship
- ...and more!
Become a Friend of Saint Mary’s
We welcome new volunteers, including student volunteers, to join the Friends of Saint Mary’s! Many of our Friends have been volunteering for a number of years. Friends are recognized for their volunteerism annually and those who achieve 100-hours of service are given special recognition.
To become a volunteer, for the safety and well-being of our residents, you must complete:
- Volunteer Application
- PA Criminal Background Check
- Volunteer Orientation
- Medical Requirements (on-going, annual basis): two-step tuberculin (TB) skin test and be up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines including boosters. The flu vaccine is recommended. *Flu vaccine and TB test are offered at Saint Mary’s free-of-charge.
Saint Mary's will guide you through the steps to become a volunteer, beginning with the volunteer application. The onboarding process may take a few weeks but the rewarding experience is well worth the wait!
Questions? Please contact:
LeeAnne Pukylo, Activities Director, at (814) 836-5358 or firstname.lastname@example.org