CCRC stands for Continuing Care Retirement Community. There are different types of CCRC’s available – Saint Mary’s is a Type C “Fee-for-Service” community which means residents only pay for what they need, but have priority access to a continuum of care in the future. Seniors and their families may find CCRC's beneficial because they provide a wide range of services, care, and activities in one place. View our Glossary of Terms to learn more about senior living terminology.
Under our Continuum of Care, we offer a variety of services that enable individuals to transition between levels of care and back again as their needs change – all in the same community. This offers residents and their families peace of mind, a sense a stability, and familiar surroundings as their conditions and abilities change with age. A CCRC is also beneficial for couples who may have, or develop, different care needs but who wish to live in the same community.
No, Saint Mary’s Home of Erie welcomes persons of all faiths and denominations. While faith can play an important role in the lives of many of our residents, we celebrate people of all beliefs and backgrounds and understand that each individual is unique.
Some residents start with a respite stay, which is a short-term stay based on a daily rate that allows residents to experience a “trial” period. For respite stays, furniture is provided as well as other services such as laundry, housekeeping and meals.
We specialize in serving older adults, most of whom are 65 and older. During the admission process, you’ll be asked to provide medical and personal information as well as show that you have enough income and assets to support your care. Generally, your medical needs will be the primary factor in determining admission and what level of care is appropriate.
Yes, all of the rooms at Saint Mary’s are private. You will have a private room with an attached private bathroom.
Yes, residents are encouraged to add their personal touch by bringing items like pictures and décor to help it feel like home!
- Our Skilled Nursing and Memory Care rooms are fully furnished. Respite rooms for short-term stays are also fully furnished.
- Residential Living apartments come with window treatments and appliances including a sink, microwave and fridge. Residents furnish their own apartment.
- Carriage Homes come with window blinds, kitchen appliances (fridge, oven, microwave, and dishwasher) and a washer and dryer. Residents furnish their own apartment.
Life at Saint Mary’s
- Fees at the main campus include rent, three daily meals, housekeeping and laundry, utilities, Senior TV cable service, Internet access, local telephone service (long distance fees apply), maintenance, 24-hour nursing supervision and call system, local transportation, activities and more. Wi-Fi Internet is available and a passcode will be provided to you.
- Fees for the Carriage Homes include landscaping and all-season grounds maintenance, interior and exterior maintenance and repairs, 24-hour emergency response call system and home security system, property taxes, participation in activities and use of amenities, and trash removal. Carriage Home residents are responsible for all other utilities.
Yes, this is your home – you may come and go as you please so long as it is medically appropriate. We ask that you sign out of the facility for safety purposes so that we can account for who is here in case of an emergency. Residents may have visitors at any time, but preferred visiting hours are between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. Visitors will be asked to sign in and out for security purposes.
Saint Mary’s can provide local transportation for medical appointments within a geographical distance on certain weekdays. Transportation must be scheduled in advance and is included in the monthly fee.
Residents may have a small pet so long as they can care for the needs of the animal. Visitors are also permitted to bring pets to the facility so long as they follow community guidelines. Pets must remain on a leash in common areas, not be a nuisance to other guests, and be up-to-date with vaccines.
Three meals a day are provided and included in the resident fee for residents in the main building. Weekly menus are available and residents will have a choice of options at each meal. All meals are served in the dining room and sick trays are available if the resident is ill.
Carriage Home residents are not provided meals, but do have the option for an additional fee to order from the St. Joe's Café, which offers take-out meals, or eat in the Residential Dining Room.
Saint Mary’s will explore available financial options to assist you and your loved one. Options include:
- If you are in the Skilled Nursing Unit and your funds start running out, you have the option of applying for Medical Assistance.
- If you are in the Residential Living and Memory Care Units, Benevolent Care is an option after funds are depleted and the resident has stayed with us for the required number of years.
Benevolent Care is a form of financial assistance offered by Saint Mary's that helps cover the difference in the cost of care and the resident’s ability to pay so that no resident is asked to leave if their financial situation changes. Benevolent Care is available to those in Residential Living or Memory Care, as Medicare and Medicaid do not typically provide reimbursement for this type of care. Residents in these areas of care who, through no fault of their own, deplete their resources and can no longer afford their care may qualify if having stayed with us for the required number of years. Saint Mary's is able to offer this assistance through the James E. Mantyla Benevolent Care Fund which is supported through charitable donations.
Most LTC plans cover a portion of the room and board in both Residential Living and Nursing Care settings. You should contact your insurance company to find out what the terms of your policy are.
Most insurance companies accepted by Saint Mary’s have a copay for Skilled Nursing Care. You can either check your policy to determine your copay or contact our billing office for assistance.
Our Billing Specialists and our Controller would be happy to assist you.
- Sandy Joncas, Billing Specialist, at (814) 836-4386
- Amy Hall, Billing Specialist, at (814) 836-4387
- Pam George, Controller, at (814) 836-4382